Monday, April 19, 2010

Buttons

Prior to this experience , I had always heard that those with AD were not aware they had AD. This is true in the latter stages, but is most certainly not true in the first stages. My mother-in-law is at a point where each and every day brings new challenges.

Last Sunday I went over to my mother-in-laws house...her closet had been one of my newest project. For some time it had become difficult for her to put her own outfits together. I had explained to her that we could reorganize her closet and put some of her favorite outfits together...this would make it easier for the caregivers. (I feel it is better to act like WE are helping others...not her.)

She had just gone shopping the day before, with her daughter. She needed to try some of the clothes on. She always has had the best taste in clothing and very stylish. One of the shirts she had bought had a little ruffle over the buttons. I could see out of the corner of my eye, she was struggling with the buttons. I did what I have become very good at...I acted like I didn't see the struggle. She finally made a comment that she couldn't button her shirt. The look on her face was sheer terror. I looked at her shirt and said, "Well, look there...it looks like they were trying to hide those buttons on you...right under that pretty little ruffle!" Her face softened and she said,"I am so glad you said that...I thought I was really losing my mind, now I can't even button my clothes!" I reassured her again and explained I could see the buttons better from my angel. From her angel the ruffle made it hard to see.

She allowed me to help her and we kept on talking like neither one of was devastated with the reality...everything was getting to be more of a challenge these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment